Contact Balgores Lettings today

If you would like to find out more about our landlord procedures at Balgores, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. TENANTS

As one of the area’s leading letting and management agents covering Essex, Kent and East London, Balgores are ideally placed to provide extensive rental, management and rent processing services.

It is headed by our Director Daniel Hanks, who is a member of the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) and with almost 30 years in the industry. We are also members of The Property Ombudsmen Scheme for Letting Agents. As fully licensed ARLA members we are bound by a strict code of conduct which we combine with a proactive and professional approach to dealing with your tenancy.

Here are some of the more common questions we receive from tenants, with a brief but detailed answer. If you have any further questions, however, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

Who is responsible for payment of the utilities?

You will be responsible once you move into the property. This would include water, gas, electricity, Council tax, telephone and TV licence.

Who is responsible for any repair/maintenance problems?

The Landlord would normally be responsible for repairs to the property, but you would be expected to carry out day to day repairs, e.g. light bulbs, fuses etc, and should any damage be caused through negligence then this would be your responsibility to have repaired. A tenant should report repairs as soon as they become aware.

Will my privacy be respected?

Yes. Your privacy will always be respected. It is normal for a Landlord or agent to carry out inspections during the term of the tenancy, however they should give you reasonable notice of this and it would not normally take place more often than quarterly. This area is normally covered in the tenancy agreement signed by you and the landlord.

Does it matter what letting agent I choose?

Yes, it does! To ensure you receive a professional service, it’s best to choose an agent who is a member of ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents) or NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents). ARLA & NAEA members ensure that the transaction is handled properly. An ARLA or NAEA agent works to professional standards that work well for both landlord and tenant. For example, the tenant renting through an ARLA or NAEA agent can expect that the landlord will carry out safety checks e.g. gas, electrics, furniture etc. The correct tenancy agreement will be used, ensuring that responsibilities are clearly set down and privacy of the tenant is adequate. An ARLA or NAEA agent will also have proper procedures for reporting and dealing with repairs and furthermore provide a bonding scheme, which will protect your deposit (details available). You may be advised to check if the agent is part of The Property Ombudsman.

How do I know if my deposit is protected?

Your agent/landlord must provide you with details of the scheme under which the deposit is protected within 30 days of you paying the deposit to the agent.

How long do I have to rent for?

Most tenancy agreements will last for a 12-month period but on some occasions it may be possible to insert a break clause allowing you to give two months’ notice after the first 4 months have elapsed.

What happens if I want to leave early?

If you need to leave the property before the end of your tenancy or any valid break clause, you will be responsible for paying the rent until a suitable replacement tenant has been found and you will also be responsible for meeting any costs incurred by the landlord in re-letting the property.

What is the most common type of agreement used and can I add things that concern me?

Almost all tenancy agreements used these days are Assured Shorthold Tenancies. This is normally a standard contract between landlord and tenant. If the landlord agrees to certain conditions, i.e. to provide furniture, allow decorating etc, an extra clause will be added to the agreement to this effect. The landlord is not obliged to carry out promises so it is important that your requests are documented.

Will I have any contact with the landlord or will the agent handle all matters?

This will depend on the service that the landlord instructs us to carry out for them. In the event of a Let Only service, you will be provided with the landlord’s details when you move in and will have no further dealings with us. If we have been instructed as Rent Processing agents, then you will have the landlord’s details for any issues relating to the property but all rent issues will be dealt with via us. Finally, if the landlord instructs us to manage the property, then all dealings will be via us and you will have no dealings with your landlord.

What does the Letting Agent do?

Our client is the landlord and therefore we are limited in any help we can offer a tenant. As a professional agent, however, we would help as much as possible and will not move you into a property unless we know it is safe for you to do so. When we act as managing agents, we will try to be fair with all dealings between you and the landlord and if we believe your point to be valid would certainly let the landlord know.

Contact Balgores Lettings today

If you have any more questions or would like to speak to a professional and reliable agent, please get in touch with us today.

Balgores hold the necessary Client Money Protection and a copy of our certification can be viewed here.

Looking to Sell or Rent?

Get a Valuation

How much is my property worth?
Sell my property Rent my property

Tenants FAQ

Here are some of the more common questions we receive together with the answers, however if you have a question that is not answered her please feel free to contact us.

Read Now

Landlords Guide

Click to view our Landlords Guide.

Report a Fault

Welcome to Balgores Lettings repair reporting system

Report a fault

Recent Properties for Sale

Show more properties Icon : Sort/filters

Charges for Tenants

Click here to view a document detailing our fees to tenants. If you have any questions on our fees, please speak to a member of staff.

Read Now


Modal title

hello content
You've added a property to your wishlist!
Icon : Cross/close

Add, manage and save properties you like to your own personal account.
To start collecting your dream properties, create your account:

Already have an account? Sign in here

Fill in the form below if you would like our team to contact you.

Contact the Name office
Icon : Cross/close

Fill in the form below if you would like our branch to contact you with more information

Contact the Property Management office
Icon : Cross/close

Fill in the form below if you would like our branch to contact you with more information

Contact the team
Icon : Cross/close

Fill in the form below if you would like our team to contact you

Contact the New Homes team
Icon : Cross/close

Fill in the form below if you would like our New Homes team to contact you

Apply for the vacancy in
Icon : Cross/close

Please fill in all the details below and a member of of HR team will be in touch soon regarding your application.

Icon : Cross/close

How much is your property worth?
Icon : Cross/close

How much can you rent your property for?
Icon : Cross/close

To arrange a FREE Valuation and Marketing Appraisal appointment
just fill in the form below or contact your local branch

Report a repair
Icon : Cross/close

To report a repair, please select your dedicated property manager from the list below: